Friday 8 April 2016

Review: Kiran Leonard

Somewhere in Bath,  April 2016

Why would anyone play Bath and not Bristol?
I admit to never having heard of Kiran Leonard until an e-mail from BD arrived a couple of months back, inviting me to a gig.  BD plays in KL’s band, you see.  I had a listen and knew it would be well worth a look – as well as a chance to catch up with BD himself, which is always welcome.
Besides,
“The moaning of the masses will ascend into an uproar of infinite grace;
Everything you ever worried for is only empty space”
is great lyrics, by anyone’s standards. 
It would be the ruddy week the bloody trains are off though, wouldn’t it?  The bastards.
Anyway, I rock up and the support are already on.  And there’s BD – aha, playin in both bands, well played fella.  Hang on, that guitarist looks familiar – it’s only KL, isn’t it?  Yes.  It is.
It’s busy but not heaving; I reflect that this act would probably sell out a decent small/mid-size Bristol venue on a Saturday night and then I let it go.  Honest, I do.  Even after the hour-long bus ride to get here.  (It was good, I listened to my moody music on my Walkman and looked out the window just like when I used to get the bus to school.)
I also clock BG in the crowd, as one almost always does.  His presence is a sign of Interesting Music, and as such is most welcome.  It turns out I’ve missed the first support, The Evil Usses.  I’d’ve got here earlier if I’d realised BD was in the support band as well, and even earlier if I’d known there was another support band worth watching.
LT spots me.  He’s here with a couple of others so I go over to say Hello.  If I knew you were coming I’d’ve baked a cake, I almost say.  If I knew you were comin, I’d’ve give you a shout, I actually say.  I bet they’re all about twenty-three, he actually says.  I reckon BD is a bit older than that, and then remember that he told me KL is, in fact, twenty-one.  LT tells me The Evil Usses were brilliant and again I regret my slackness.
The opening is classic pub gig stuff: there is absolutely no fanfare or showbiz of any kind.  The first song could be one very long song or two three long songs with no gaps or several short songs with no gaps.  It’s hard to tell.  It’s an intense start though, and sets an appropriate pace for the set.        LT leans over and says, looking at his watch, That was twenty-nine minutes.  Not bad for an opener.
KL has a brand new album out (hence the tour), which I don’t realise until later, after I’ve already said to LT, We’re half an hour in and I still haven’t recognised anything yet.
Eventually, The Hits appear, songs from the debut album (which most reviews would tell you the name of here), including my personal favourite, referenced above.  (That song is called Port Aine, in case you’re wondering.  There’s an accent over the e that I can’t find on this vintage typewriter.  Also, I have no idea how to pronounce it either.)
Later, I sort of recognise one or two songs from said debut album (oh, alright, it’s called Bowler Hat Soup, if you must know).  (I don’t know what the new one is called.  If this review was for a broadsheet, I’d know what it was called, but would probably also refer to it as a “sophomoric effort”, as if that’s a phrase anyone wants to read.)
KL has a kind of fractured relationship with his vocal mic: he sings around it and near as much as into it.  This means some of the lyrics are a bit lost, but there’s me sounding old, wanting to hear the lyrics.  It doesn’t really detract from the performance, it’s just an observation.  (And what is a review but a series of subjective observations and tiresome, convoluted, genre-hyphenating attempts at categorisation, preceded by a slightly edited version of the artists’ press release biography, punctuated by an incomplete list of the songs played and topped off with a quote that can be edited down to a few words for a poster?  It’s weird that so many of them make no mention of how the performance is received, or what the atmosphere is like.  I read a review of the first ever gig I went to, when I was fourteen, and thought it was absolute bollocks.  It was like the reviewer had been to a completely different gig.  Never forgot that.)  It fits with KL’s awkward stage presence; he’s also stood side-on to the front of the stage.  At one point LT observes, It doesn’t make any difference if we’re here or not.  He’s right as well.  (He should probably be writing this review, it would be more insightful.  But he can’t even be bothered to write my blog for me.  Lazy.)
Someone behind us says, to no one in particular, I bet he doesn’t like ketchup on his chips – I’m confident.  In the same spirit, LT and I have the following exchange,
Do you reckon he’s ever talked to a girl?
-  No, he’s never even seen one…
Or a picture of one.
-  God, can you imagine when he does?  It’ll be like Roxy Music.
(It’s obviously a wee bit (playfully) disrespectful, so I’d never repeat it in any kind of public forum.  (Fortunately, nobody will ever read this, so it doesn’t really matter).)
It’s a strangely quiet gig.  Not like it would be in, say….oh, I don’t know – to pick an example from the clear blue sky – Bristol?  The crowd are into it, they just don’t really know how to react.  KL mentions Bristol, near the end, and says, We are actually playing in Bristol, The Louisiana, on …um, the 23rd of August.
22nd, corrects BG, from the front of the audience.
Oh, is it?  Ask that guy, he knows.
Classic BG.  He knows.  He knows.  (And he knows that he knows.  You know?  No?  Oh.)
Anyway, the point is, the performance really blows us away.  It’s heavy, it’s quiet, professional reviewers would need a minimum of three hyphens and two obscure musician references and searching guesses at influences to get near to describing it – and it’s very entertaining.  In that punk, see-if-I-care sort of way.  (I think he/they probably do/es care, but it looks a bit like he/they don’t, and a conventional review would probably take the idea seriously.)
BD is on top form, on violin, guitar and keys.  There’s so much going on sonically, and the overall effect is pretty intense.  To the extent that one of us says, I’m away home to re-assess everything.
And one of us says, I’m away home to burn my guitar.  And my hands.
Just as everyone starts to file out to the horror of 11.30 on a Saturday night in any town in Britain, KL steps back up – a few hardy souls at the front had half-heartedly called for an encore and one or two more joined in and a few more waited around to see how it would turn out (that’s how these things go, isn’t it?).  As KL plugs his guitar back in (seems it’s a genuinely unplanned encore), the promoter affects a look of mild consternation and tells the sound engineer, We’re already over time. 

Presumably, someone is waiting to start a club night in the room, which will probably be brilliant and ideally suited to the gig we’ve just seen and we’ll all stay here until kicking out time.
 
Nevertheless, KL steps up and plays a song I’ve never heard, which he introduces as His Actions Speak Louder Than Words by The Tammys.  (I think that’s what it’s called.  It’s hard to understand what he’s saying sometimes, because of his strained relationship with the microphone, and because he mumbles a bit.)

Turns out it’s a blissfully and gently strange version of an early Motown-style bubblegum classic, and a good way to end the set (“reminiscent of Jeff Buckley’s famously better-than-the-original version of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah”, is what most broadsheet newspaper website reviews would say about it.  In that knowing way.  You know the one.  As if they know something.  You don’t know?  Oh...)
Afterwards, BD tells me the kind of stuff about KL that would make it in to a normal review, and I briefly meet The Man Himself.  I tell him it was Astonishing, and he thanks me.  It really was, however much we took the piss out of his age.  (Pure jealousy on my part – in fact, it reminded me of being in a band as a teenager and seeing even younger teenagers who were much better than us, and wondering how we’d managed to waste so much time and here were these kids not old enough to have a fake ID to get a pint in the venue we were all playing in, and they really knew what they were doing, and we were just arsing about, not really sure of ourselves and sounding just a little bit like all the bands we liked.  Good times.)
In a strange twist, it turns out a few of the PFR crew are playing in the same venue later on.  I would like to see them, but am knackered (and, it seems, old – or so I think, until BD texts me later to say that although it is always A buzz to see the crew, the place is awful after hours.  And he’s younger than me.  I think.

Perhaps KL is some kind of messianic figure, come to shine a light in the dark place, never shunning the sinners (you know, people who like Normal Music, or whatever), sending not the little children away, but declaring the earth belongs to them.  And the meek, of course.

Or perhaps he or his booking agent know a promoter in Bath.)
On the bus ride home (#bloodybastardtrains), I listen to a rapper tell me about his personal problems over a nice piano riff and a crispy beat.  Normal service will be resumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment