Friday 25 January 2013

Talking To Myself: A Retort


Can I just shock you?

I quite like doing interviews.

I don’t do them often, but on occasion it’s alright.

I like that people sometimes ask unexpected questions, but that’s not why I quite like interviews.
I like that people don’t know much about me, but that’s not why I quite like interviews.
I like that people don’t know if I’m joking or not, but that’s not why I quite like interviews.

I like getting to describe my friend and colleague Dr Spin as a “waify stray” who “turned up at my door looking for food”, and not have to qualify it in any way.
But that’s not why I like doing interviews.
I like getting a chance to talk (and think) about the biggest/best ideas I’ve had – the opportunity present to the public at large my grandest vision of myself.
(I am aware that a lot of people don’t get/don’t take, that opportunity.)
But that’s not why I like doing interviews.
I like that anyone thinks I am worth listening to.  (Just call me ‘EgoBoy’)
I like that people sometimes take me seriously (it makes it a lot funnier for me).
But that’s not why I like doing interviews.
I like saying “Hello, Mum” on the radio.
But that’s not why I like doing interviews.

The reason I like interviews is that, at their best, they can be a revealing conversation – for participants, as well as observers. 
The reason I like interviews is that the interviewee is vulnerable and in control at the same time, and I am attracted to the feeling of danger/excitement. 
The reason I like doing interviews is that, whatever questions I am asked, I can present myself however I choose. 

In short, the reason I like doing interviews because of…stuff like this:  
Part 1
Part 2 

PEACE

Clayton Blizzard 

No comments:

Post a Comment